Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links, which means, at no additional cost to you, I may get a commission if you make a purchase. I ♥ your support. (want to know more?).
Mold is one of the worse sides of Mother Nature. It’s sneaky. Mold enters our home unannounced and uninvited and then has the gall to stay for prolonged periods of time. It can be difficult to deal with, which is why people often resort to harsh chemicals.
Did you know that you can kill mold naturally?
Grapefruit Seed Extract
Indeed there are many natural ingredients we can use to get rid of mold. One of my favorites is grapefruit seed extract. It’s natural and it doesn’t have a smell!
To use, pour two cups of water into a clean spray bottle and add 20 to 25 drops of citrus seed extract. Give the bottle a good shake.
Spray onto the affected area, leaving the solution on, do not rinse. Go back to it in a few hours and scrub with a good brush.
Once the mold is gone, prevent it from coming back by spraying this solution a few times a week on the previously effected area.
Kill Mold With Baking Soda
Most of the products designed to kill mold contain harsh chemicals, and their smell is often worse than that of the mold itself. In some cases, using baking soda can be just as effective as harsh chemicals.
Simply mix baking soda with vinegar in a large spray bottle. Apply to the effected area and let sit overnight. In the morning, scrub with a stiff brush and rinse. Voilà!
Kill Mold With Vinegar
Vinegar is another natural mold killer. I recommend spraying it directly onto the moldy surface-no need to dilute. If you have issues with the smell, consider adding 5-10 drops of a citrus essential oil to cover it.
Let it sit for a few hours (or overnight), then just gran a stiff brush and scrub the surface. It is best to use white vinegar.
Kill Mold With Hydrogen Peroxide
Let it work for about 10 minutes. When time is up, get a brush and scrub the affected area. Next, to get rid of any remaining mold spores, simply wipe away with a clean cloth. Done.
8 Tips For Preventing Mold
Remember, the best way to deal with mold is to never let it settle into your home. Here are some tips to keep mold at bay:
- Ventilate your bathroom after each use to prevent mold formation.
- Spray your bathroom walls with a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar after you shower.
- Opt for hard surface floors in your bathrooms and kitchen.
- Fix leaks as soon as possible. Make sure your washing machine, toilet, tub, sinks, and pipes are functioning properly.
- Soak up leaks and spills as soon as possible.
- Use mold-resistant paint in your bathrooms.
- Treat mold as soon as you notice it. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to deal with it.
- Check your home for mold on a regular basis.
Have you had to get rid of mold?