Let me take a wild guess…you’re curious about this whole oily business. You’ve been hearing about them (Has your Facebook feed has been flooded with oily posts lately?), and you want to know more. Good thing you ended up here! I am in a position to help you!
Why I Chose Young Living Essential Oils Over Other Brands
When I set out to move toward a “greener” lifestyle, essential oils weren’t even on my radar. Seriously. Sure, I wanted to live more naturally, but I was still popping Ibuprofen for headaches and using Pamperin for cramps (yup, I went there).
And then…well, I got a headache that just wouldn’t go away. It was nothing short of horrendous. I had a few friends that worked as nurses, and they suggested that I try essential oils. I laughed. If medical science (which does have it’s time and place, mind you) couldn’t touch this headache, no way were some oils. HA!
And now, I’m the one that’s laughing. You want to know why? Because my friend gave me some peppermint oil to try. I put it on my temples and hairline, and it really helped my headache! It was just GONE. And I was sold. Maybe there was something to this oily business after all….
Once I knew that oils worked, I had to do some research. There are a lot of oils out there, after all!
Could I just go to Whole Foods and buy some oils from their “wellness” section?
Or did I need to sign up with Young Living or DoTerra?
So I started to do some research. I love to research. And here’s what I found:
I’m All About Integrity (And So Is Young Living)
Young Living has been around for over 20 years. There’s no other company that can say that. And in fact, Young Living is above board.
Not all oil companies can say that. As if that weren’t reason enough, Young Living doesn’t use fillers or anything artificial in their oils. If it says ‘peppermint’, it’s just peppermint essential oil, plain and simple.
As I mentioned, I have friends in the medical profession who swear by Young Living Essential Oils, and even Beth Israel Medical Center utilizes them. I personally think that this is because of their Seed to Seal process.
Young Living Boasts 88 Single Oils & 78 Oil Blends
That’s a LOT of variety! And all of Young Living’s oils are Therapeutic Grade. Additionally,many Young Living oils are also GRAS (such as basil, oregano, and lemon), or generally regarded as safe for consumption (though not all are, so please read labels!).
This is a big deal, as most “essential oils” available today (including those at Whole Foods) are not up to Young Living’s standards. Most of the oils that you find, say, in the supermarket or through other companies are “rebottled”…this means that they are not grown or distilled by the company, but purchased from a wholesaler. Yuck.
That just doesn’t sit well with me. How do I know where I’m getting my oils if they are being bought from a third party and then passed off as safe?
This is where Young Living really steps up (and where they earned my business).
Young Living Essential Oils Stand Out
Most of essential oils on the market today not therapeutic grade.
In fact, they’re really only suitable for cosmetics and perfumes. Young Living’s oils unique in that they produce a therapeutic, or medicinal, grade oil.
See, Young Living has a propriety method for producing their essential oils that allows them to obtain the purest product out there.
No Fillers, No Funny Business.
Young Living calls process “Seed to Seal” because they literally control every minute detail of the process from the time the seed goes into the ground until they seal the bottle and send it to you.
The following information was obtained from the Young Living website:
Seed to Seal
1. Seed -Potent essential oils come from plant species that have been authenticated by Young Living experts. Species certification involves scientific research, field study, university partnerships, and on-site planting certification.
2. Cultivate – Through cultivation on the four Young Living farms, Young Living Essential Oils has mastered the creation of pure, potent essential oils. The company takes this knowledge around the world to co-op farms to certify that these farms’ growing processes meet Young Living’s strict quality standards.
3. Distill – Young Living’s proprietary low-temperature, low-pressure steam distillation process ensures that the beneficial plant compounds in every batch of essential oil remain uncompromised during the extraction process.
4. Test – Each essential oil must pass Young Living’s stringent testing to ensure the optimal bioactive natural compounds are present. Young Living uses its own internal labs, in addition to third-party audits, to verify that international purity and potency standards are met and surpassed.
5. Seal – Young Living completes the Seed to Seal process by carefully sealing each bottle of essential oil before shipping them to members worldwide.
For more information on Young Living’s exclusive Seed to Seal process, please see the Seed to Seal website.
So Why Doesn’t Everyone Do It This Way?
I was shocked to learn that most other essential oils are extracted using high heat, high pressure, and chemical solvents. Wait. Chemicals? No thanks.
Now, understand that while the final product may still contain the aroma of the plant, these harsh methods destroy any therapeutic qualities of the oils.
Using lower-quality oils (aroma grade) for therapeutic purposes is never recommended and can be extremely toxic. So don’t do it. Okay?
There are currently no standards when it comes to labeling a bottle of essential oil.
Get this: a company can use terms like “100% Natural”, “100% Pure”, “All Natural”, etc., but none of these terms are regulated!
Basically, you have no way of knowing the quality of other oils! When you find Frankincense or Rose oil (two of the most expensive oils that Young Living carries) for $10 or $15.00? RUN.
I’d put my money on this: it’s probably mass produced, adulterated, and laced with stuff you don’t want on or in your body. I’d be willing to bet that you can’t find the processing methods on the company’s website.
With other oil companies, it’s very likely that the therapeutic compounds have been destroyed by heat, pressure, and chemical solvents. Yuck.
But remember, there are no quality standards for essential oils, so you have to know where your oils are coming from and how they were processed.
Because of Young Living’s Seed To Seal transparency (and the fact that they welcome visitors to their farms), I trust Young Living.
You Need To Know Where Your Oils Come From
Before you get started with any oil company, ask yourself these questions:
1. Does their company own any farms on which to raise herbs for oils?
2. Does their company have their own fully equipped testing laboratory to verify an oil’s composition?
3. If their company purchases oils from outside suppliers, do they visit the distilleries and farms of those suppliers periodically to observe if the herbs are grown organically (i.e. without pesticides, herbicides, or chemical fertilizers)?
4. Do they know if the grower has a testing laboratory on the farm to determine when the crop is at its peak for oil harvesting?
5. Do they know if the crops were actually harvested at their peak time and, if so, was there an inordinant delay in taking them to the still and into the cookers?
6. Do they know if their distillery personnel understand the art and science of distilling to make sure the oil produced contains all of its components in the proper proportions?
7. If their supplier makes a mistake in the distillation or harvesting processes do they discard it?
8. Do they know if the the cookers in the distilleries of their suppliers have domed lids or cone shaped lids? Most stills use dome-shaped lids. Cone topped cookers deliver a better grade of oil than dome tops.
9. Do they know if their suppliers supplement the distillation process with solvents to exatract additional oil from the plant matter?
10. Do they know if their suppliers bottle their oils directly from the distillery without modifying the composition of the natural oil by adding anything or taking anything away?
This is not a comprehensive list of questions you could ask, but if their answer to any or most of the above is “no,” or “I don’t know,” then how do they know their oils are “pure therapeutic grade” and that they are “as good or better than those of Young Living?” Without such knowledge, how can they make any verifiable claims that compare Young Living Oils with their brand?
With Young Living, you know that the answer to all of these questions is “Yes.”
Young Living markets more than 100 species of oils and cannot possible raise them all on their own farms. When they purchase from other growers and suppliers, they not only may initial site visits to verify that the oils are being produced and packaged properly, but they have a program of making repeated visits from time to time to make sure the standards are being upheld.
Young Living Essential Oils WORK
Everything else aside. I use Young Living Essential Oils because they work for me. And they work for my family.
I am constantly blown away by the fact that my oils have helped us in so many different ways. I also love that my friends and family are finding the same great benefits. And I want you to know what it’s like to love these oils.
If you’re here, I’ll bet that you want to know how essential oils can help you (or your family). Good thing you’re here, because I was just going to go into how essential oils can help you.
How Essential Oils Will Help You
Let’s start with the basics: essential oils are kind of like a swiss army knife. They can do a LOT.
One of my absolute favorite oils is lavender. I LOVE it. Did you know that the applications of lavender include:
- skin care
- hair growth
…and a whole lot more. Seriously! I never go anywhere without my bottle of lavender. If you’re just getting started, a great way to learn about oils is to use them in place of your medicine cabinet.
Healthy Living Makeover
I love a good makeover, and I’m sure that you’ll agree, it would be nice to not have to use the standard thing to treat basic issues. Have you seen the warning labels on them? Have you ever read them?!
Imagine providing a safe, effective, and natural alternative. It’s possible! You just need your own essential oils.
If you’d like to get started making over your medicine cabinet, then I would absolutely recommend the Premium Starter Kit.
If you’re ready to get started, then you can learn more about the Premium Starter Kit HERE. Young Living’s Premium Starter Kit rocks my socks, y’all. It has some amazing, lots-of-bang-for-your-buck oils, and, well, it’s what got me started.
Be sure to check it out.
Getting Personal With Oils
I found that oils were a very personal decision, and I use them to help with some very *ahem* personal issues. If you have concerns that are personal, or specific, I would encourage you to do a little legwork and find out which oils are recommended for your specific needs.
Remember that you get to chose how to care for yourself. I’m sure that up to this point, you’ve been nodding along, because, like me, you want what’s best for your family. But what about your partner? Ish was beyond skeptical when I told him I wanted to try essential oils. In fact, he called them “snake oils” for a long, long time. But when he got sick, and Smalls got sick, and I didn’t…I think that changed his mind.
Suddenly, he was asking which oils would help with his sore shoulder (Panaway), and how to get better sleep (Peace & Calming with Lavender). He even got on board with Thieves oil and Thieves cleaner around the house. Now he’s my biggest advocate, and also the larger part of my Essential Rewards orders each month!
How To Buy Young Living Essential Oils
Want to get started with Young Living?
I can help!
Young Living has several starter kits, but quite honestly, the Premium Starter Kit is the most bang for your buck.
You not only get the Everyday Oils collection to get your medicine cabinet makeover started, and get 24% off of retail prices with your wholesale membership.
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit includes:
- 11 5-ml bottles of essential oils,
- Home Diffuser,
- Your very own wholesale membership (you’ll save 24% off retail!)
AND, if you enroll with me, I will add you to our private support group exclusive to my team! (Be sure to fill out your email so I can get in touch with you!)
You will also gain access to The LemonDroppers so you will have all the resources you need to start your oil journey!
Please know that you do not have to promote the oils OR spend a certain amount each month.
The Young Living Premium Starter Kit
- Scroll down below and make sure “Member” is marked off (not “Retail Customer.”) Becoming a “Member” is the only way to get access to the Premium starter Kit and the 24% discount you get from here on out!
- Make sure my member number (1514624) is in the “enroller” blank (it should be entered in there for you if you clicked the button step #1, and say “Breanna Gunn”).
- On the next page fill in your Personal Information (name, email, phone, address, etc.).
- Choose a username, password, and 4 digit pin. WRITE THEM DOWN (trust me on this one).
- Fill out your tax information. Young Living does ask for your Social Security Number, but this is only for legal purposes. Your SSN will never be used unless you refer others to Young Living and want to earn a paycheck. Now, if you’re not comfortable giving up your SSN, I get it. You can set up an EIN really quickly, and use that (I did!). Please know that I will not pressure you into the business end…EVER. I want you to use and love your oils and we love you as a member whether you work the business end or not.
- Select the PREMIUM STARTER KIT. This is the one with the everyday oils kit and the diffuser. It will be $160.00. The other kits do not include the oils kit, though you are welcome to select any PREMIUM kit you like.
- Scroll down through the “Essential Rewards Kits” and click “no thank you, I plan on enrolling in Essential Rewards later” (you are not obligated to sign up for Essential Rewards at this time, but it does have some great benefits. I always tell my new members to get the kit, try the oils, and then talk to me before your NEXT purchase. Then we can figure out if the Essential Rewards Program is right for you and your family).
- Select the blue “Enrollment Checkout” box. If you’d like to add additional oils or products to your order, you can do that now.
- Confirm your enrollment information (you should see my business name “Gal Friday” as your enroller and sponsor).
- Choose your shipping method and enter your payment information.
- ACTIVATE AND PLACE ORDER.
*US Premium Starter Kit. Premium Starter Kits purchased in other countries may receive different oils. Diffuser style may vary.
You’re done! Welcome to my team! Shoot me an email and let me know that your oils are on their way, and I’ll get you added to my oily groups and help you get started, and send you out some special goodies!
If you’re itching to get started, be sure to check out Young Living’s product guide!