So this morning I wanted to make the kids waffles…but I really, really did not want to waste the yolks of my eggs. Plus, I never really separate eggs the right way (please tell me I’m not the only one), and I always end up breaking at least one yolk, which ruins the experience (and wastes a lot of eggs).
So, instead of breaking a boatload of eggs, I decided to try my hand at using Aquafaba, which is the liquid that you find in canned chickpeas. Some people have said that you can actually replace eggs with Aquafaba, but I didn’t want to count on that.
I do know that Aquafaba does a great job of standing in for egg whites in recipes like Belgian waffles, meringues, and macarons, so that’s what I did.
The trick to whipping Aquafaba is using a hand mixer because whisking this stuff by hand takes a long time and really doesn’t get the job done. .
When you’re mixing, make sure to allow 3-6 minutes of constant mixing to get to firm peaks. It also depends on how thick your Aquafaba was to begin with, so make sure that you watch your work and test your peaks from time to time.
I found that using the Aquafaba didn’t really change the texture of my favorite waffle recipe, and it certainly made my life easier. I used the chickpeas to make faux tuna salad and it was delicious. I had forgotten how much I liked this quick and easy vegan dish (and smashing the chickpeas kept the kids busy for quite awhile).
I’m now officially obsessed with Aquafaba, and have been looking high and low for recipes that call for it so that I can use up all of this liquid that I have been saving.
20 Aquafaba Recipes
- Fluffy Vegan Chocolate Mousse With Aquafaba from lazycatkitchen.com
- Aquafaba Dairy Free Coffee Ice Cream from cearaskitchen.com
- Vegan Scrambled “Eggs” Made With Aquafaba from blissfulbasil.com
- Easy Vegan Mayo With Aquafaba from minimalistbaker.com
- Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Recipe With Aquafaba from healthyslowcooking.com
- Gluten Free & Vegan Churros Recipe from alittleinsanity.com
- Raspberry Rose Vegan Macarons (using Aquafaba) from crazyvegankitchen.com
- Aquafaba S’mores Parfaits from mindfulavocado.com
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins from yupitsvegan.com
- Healthy High Protein Rocky Road Blender Ice Cream from thebigmansworld.com
- Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse With Hibiscus Blood Oranges from withfoodandlove.com
- Classic Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies from connoisseurusveg.com
- Cranberry Orange Clafoutis from fettlevegan.com
- Vegan Macarons from theblenderist.com
- Gluten Free S’mores Pancakes from strengthandsunshine.com
- Vegan Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting from cheftographer.com
- Vegan Meringue Nests With Strawberries & Cream from wallflowerkitchen.com
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cake With Cheesecake Frosting & Cookie Crumble from theplantstrongvegan.com
- Easy Coconut Mocha Vegan Macaroons†from cottercrunch.com
- Super Delicious Vegan Carrot Cake Using Aquafaba from poppyandthebees.com
Have you used Aquafaba in your cooking?