I’m Italian. I love pasta…or I loved it. It didn’t love me at all. My body doesn’t even like the gluten free stuff. Grains and I just don’t get along. SO I’ve fallen in love with spaghetti squash…except it’s hot down here in Texas. Skip to the Simple Paleo Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe.
Simple Paleo Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatballs
Even in the fall (It was in the 80s most of October!), when I crave hearty meals like soups, stews…and spaghetti. The problem here is that boiling noodles takes around 10 minutes, give or take. Baking a spaghetti squash? Well, that takes quite a bit more time.
And when it’s 80 degrees outside, the last thing i want to is to have my oven on for an hour or more. SO, I got creative. I know that I can microwave a spaghetti squash, but what I really wanted to do was to have a little time hands-on as possible (since I’ve got a bum leg and all).
Turns out spaghetti squash and meatballs in the crockpot is not only fast, it’s also super tasty!
Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (I love this one)
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- Wash and slice your spaghetti squash though the middle-you want long "noodles", and since they run around the squash, you want to make sure to leave them intact. De-seed and place your squash halves into the crockpot.
- To make your meatballs, get a large bowl, and add in all of the ingredients. Use your hands to thoroughly mix everything together. Using a large cookie scoop, form the mixture into balls, and press to form. Place the meatballs into the crockpot around the spaghetti squash. Pour the jar of sauce over the squash and your meatballs.
- Cover, and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until your squash is soft when pricked with a knife and your meatballs are cooked. Carefully remove your squash halves using tongs, and gently pull the noodles apart with a fork. Top the noodles with your meatballs and sauce.
This is also amazing with some extra spinach tossed in with the sauce. I’ve also added black olives and some additional finely chopped onion when I’m feeling sassy.
I love everything spaghetti squash!! Favorite fall veggie, so delicious <3
It’s my absolute fav!!