You can easily make this delicious Spanish sausage sweet potato stew in as little as 45 minutes! Every bite of this hearty stew is comforting and is the perfect way to warm up.
Don’t you just love eating a bowl of stew on a cold winter day? There is just something about it that makes you feel so warm and cozy. Bell peppers, onions, juicy tomatoes, sweet potatoes, butter beans, and sausage complement each other well in this amazing homemade soup.
How To Make Homemade Stew
This homemade sweet potato stew is really quick and easy to make. You would think it had been cooking all day long because it has so much flavor. Okay, let’s get started with this tasty Spanish sausage stew.
First Step: Mix together all the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
Second Step: Sautee onions and peppers until tender. Add in garlic and continue cooking. Sprinkle sauces on top and saute for 30 more seconds.
Third Step: Add in broth, tomatoes, tamari, and water and boil. Boil then add in sausage and sweet potatoes. Pour in the butter beans, miso, and parsley until the potatoes are tender.
What Is Miso?
Traditionally miso is a Japanese seasoning. It’s made from fermented soybeans. You can actually use miso in all sorts of dishes regardless of the cuisine it is. It adds TONS of flavor to this homemade soup.
What Is Tamari?
Tamari is another Japanese ingredient that’s made from fermented soybeans. You will be amazed by how amazing it tastes too. It’s the perfect complement to this sweet potato stew.
What Kind Of Nutrients Are In Sweet Potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are packed with fiber, calcium, selenium, vitamin C, and iron. Adding sweet potatoes to the stew isn’t just about flavor; it’s about amazing nutrients too.
How Do You Store Sweet Potato Stew?
Allow the sweet potato stew to cool completely then pour it into an airtight container. Refrigerate leftover homemade stew for 3-4 days.
Heat the homemade soup in a pot on the stovetop for 10-15 minutes until it’s hot. You can also warm it in the microwave. I just recommend covering it with a paper towel so you don’t get soup everywhere.
Additionally, you can freeze this Spanish sausage sweet potato stew. Pour the homemade stew into a freezer-safe bag. Make sure to leave a little room at the top of the bag so it doesn’t expand too much. Let out the excess air and freeze for 2-3 months.
To thaw the soup, place it in the refrigerator overnight.
What Do I Need To Make Homemade Stew?
- Dutch Oven – You will need a great quality dutch oven and I love this model!
- Soup Bowls – This set of bowls is so awesome! Check them out.
Craving More Soup Recipes?
Try some of my other amazing soup recipes. You will be impressed by how amazing they are.
- The Best Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Deconstructed Southwestern Chicken Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Split Pea Soup
- Fast & Easy Lasagna Soup
Spanish Sausage Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 2 tbsp Dried onion flakes (minced)
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 Spicy Sausage (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 medium Red onion (diced)
- 1 medium Red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 can Petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 1 tbsp Miso
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 1 medium Sweet potato (peeled and diced)
- 2 cans Butter beans (rinsed and drained – 15.5 oz.)
- 3 tbsp Fresh parsley (chopped)
- Add the spice ingredients in a bowl. Mix Well. Set aside.
- Add the red onion and red bell pepper in a Dutch Oven.
- Saute on medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic.
- Continue on medium heat for 30 seconds. Continue on medium-high heat and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the mixed spice ingredients, sauteing for 30 seconds. This will release the fragrance.
- Slowly add the broth and water. Stir to mix. Add the diced tomatoes and tamari. Bring it to a boil. Stir well. Immediately lower the heat to a low simmering boil.
- Stir in the cubed sweet potatoes, sausage, and the first can of the butter beans. Continue to simmer for 18 minutes. Add the parsley and miso. Stir to combine. Add the last can of butter beans. Stir well. Continue to simmer. Check to see if the sweet potatoes are tender. Taste Remove the bay leaf.
- Garnish each bowl of stew with parsley before serving
Leave a Comment