Paleo is a diet and lifestyle plan that places emphasis on lean protein, fermented foods, fresh produce and whole, unrefined grains. The tenements of this eating plan direct eating as our hunter gatherer ancestors did, which will usually mean cutting out modern foods such as refined sugar and flours, high sodium options and fat laden meals that are part of the way we eat today.
Cutting out these types of foods does not mean that you have to give up your favorite meals however. By replacing them with whole foods, natural sugars and low fat but high quality protein, you can ensure that you get the nutrition you need and enjoy the occasional treat without having to compromise on your health.
Below are a few recipes that you can use to make desserts that are both tasty and nutritious:
Grilled Peaches with Cream
Grilled peaches are easy to prepare and can be whipped up quickly when you are short of time to make dessert for guests. Yogurt or coconut cream make a great accompaniment while honey helps to incorporate additional sweetness to an already tasty dish.
- 3 ripe medium peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- Small tub of natural yogurt or 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- Ground cinnamon to taste.
- Wash peaches thoroughly, cut them into two and remove the pit.
- Preheat a grill to medium.
- Place peaches on a pizza stone with cut side facing up. Insert into grill and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the coconut milk or yogurt into a medium sized dish and add the vanilla extract.
- Whisk with a handheld mixer until completely combined.
- Place the grilled peaches in a serving dish and drizzle the coconut or yogurt mixture over them.
- Top with nuts of your choice, sprinkle with the 1 tbsp of honey and serve.
Raw Brownie Bars
Indulge your chocolate cravings with this brownie recipes made with all natural ingredients that are both good for you and delightful tasting. While this recipe uses walnuts, you can choose to use any other type of nut to improve the flavor and make the brownies more exotic tasting. Requiring no baking, this recipe can be whipped up quickly and refrigerated for future enjoyment.
- 1.5 cups walnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 0.5 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place walnuts in a food processor and pulse until they are finely ground.
- Add cocoa powder, dates and vanilla extract. Process until ingredients are well combined. Add water drops until mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the brownie mixture on it.
- Press until firmly packed.
- Refrigerate overnight then remove and place on a cutting board.
- Slice into bars of your desired size.
- Pack in a zip lock bag for refrigeration or enjoy immediately with your favorite beverage.
Dairy-free Strawberry Ice-cream
Enjoy your favorite creamy treat without the bloating and other side effects associated with dairy products. Made with coconut milk and topped with fresh strawberries, this ice-cream is sure to be a hit with friends and family and is a great guilt free treat to enjoy from time to time.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- Mix coconut milk, vanilla and honey in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine and turn the heat up to medium. Cook slightly for a few minutes until ingredients are well mixed. Turn off heat and remove saucepan from fire.
- Pour the mixture into a small glass bowl, allow to cool and then place in the freezer to harden for two hours.
- In the meantime, cook strawberries in a small saucepan over low heat until they start breaking down into a sauce.
- Allow strawberries to cool and place in the refrigerator.
- Remove ice-cream from freezer and top with the strawberry sauce.
- Serve with nuts or your favorite topping.
Paleo desserts are a great way to enjoy your favorite treats while getting much needed nutrients into your system. Making these desserts at home is not only cost effective, but ensures that you can control the ingredients used. This means that you can choose to make better versions of your favorite desserts, and reap the benefits in form of a healthier, stronger body.
Tiffany Watts is the blogger behind Dilesia, a food blog curated for newbie and experienced cooking and baking enthusiasts, with the aim of bringing back the glamor and fashion in the kitchen. Dilesia, “where sweet treats and good eats meet,” provides a portal for everyone to discover delicious recipes, new and upcoming kitchen gadgets, and easy (and surprising) ways to upgrade culinary skills.