I had someone email me last week asking what I was wearing. So I replied and listed off the labels for the clothing I had on in the pic she mentioned (Lularoe, if you want to know).
And then, she emailed me back…. And we wanted to know what I was wearing…ONMYFACE. Oops! So I replied, and I was shocked when she verbally punched me for not using “natural” make up.
Ummm…it’s my face and my body? And yes, I’m big into natural, holistic, and healthy. I get it. But here’s the thing-I’ve tried natural make up, and y’all. It does not work for me.
I end up broken out, or with my foundation sliding off my face. All the natural make up brands that I’ve tried have basically been a big fat fail.
Don’t get me wrong. I want them to work. I really, really do. I love make up. LOVE.IT. In fact, I first became interested in makeup because I wanted to play with color.
As I got older, I started to experiment with different looks, and I was a huge Wet & Wild fan. That dates me a bit.
I’m pretty sure that my first foray into actual makeup was buying a bunch of foundation colors at Payless (remember when they were more than shoes?) and hoping they matched.
And then I grew up, and I gained a better feel for what works for me. And no, it’s not your typical natural make up. And I’m okay with that.
My Favorite Make Up
I absolutely love my Tinted Moisturizer. I have both NARS Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska and Younique BB and they are both amazing, though lately I’ve been reaching for my Younique more often.
Remember, I live in Houston, and when it’s hot, your face melts. For years I wore Bare Minerals, but as I’ve gotten older, I noticed that it was settling into my face and looked cakey, even if I applied very light coverage.
But with my tinted moisturizer, I can apply and walk out the door. I love it, and it’s got an SPF of 30, which is super important to me.
A very, very close second would be my They’re Real! Mascara from Benefit. It doesn’t smudge, budge, or get in my eyes, and I only need one coat…I add a drop of Lavender EO to help encourage my lashes to grow. I also love that they have black and blue…for when I’m feeling feisty.
What’s In My Make Up Bag
I currently have a pretty light collection in my makeup bag. It’s summer, and I have two little boys, so makeup application needs to be quick and effortless.
I also am active, so whatever I use needs to stay on all day, even in the heat. Ready for the run down? Here you go:
- NARS Pure Radiance Tinted Moisturizer + SPF 30 Sunscreen in Alaska is great. It has amazing buildable coverage, and does triple duty for me as a moisturizer in the morning, foundation, and sunscreen.
- Tarte Maracuja Oil is my fave. I use it as a PM moisturizer before bed, and to tame fly aways during the day. I also use it on my cuticles. I love this stuff. It’s not greasy or oily, and it has greatly improved my complexion.
- MAC Mineralize Concealer in NW30 is amazing. It covers everything, and stays where I put it, but is really blendable. It stands up well to the heat, and covers my dark circles (because, mom of 2 young kids!) and any shark week breakouts.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal is a great highlighter, and I use it on my brow bones, nose, cheeks, and chin-anywhere light would normally hit.
- Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon is waterproof, which is a must when it’s 100 degrees and 80 percent humidity. I use it on my cheeks, lips, and eyes so I’m not totally one dimensional.
- Laura Mercier Eye Basics in Wheat is pretty on its own, and it also makes a great primer for powder eyeshadow. When I’m short on time, I’ll just use this alone, and it gives me a nice fresh “makeup free and slept all night” look. It’s that good.
- Urban Decay Basics Naked eyeshadow pallet has stunning shades, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. My favorites are W.O.S. and Faint, but I use them all, depending on how dramatic I want my look to be. They stay on all day, too, which is a good thing, especially if I spend the time doing a smoky eye.
- Benefit They’re Real! Mascara is my absolute favorite. Yes, I know that they say drugstore and department store mascara is the same…but honestly, I haven’t found that to be true. I love that this doesn’t smudge, and makes me look like I got sleep (which I probably didn’t).
- Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencil In Lucky is sadly discontinued, but I think I must have bought enough for awhile, because I’m still using it. I love lining my waterline with this because it really makes my blue eyes pop. I really, really, really hope that UD brings this back before I run out! If you love the copper color, you may like this one instead.
- NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder makes me look airbrushed. It’s the finest powder I think I’ve ever come across, and I love that it comes with its own mirror.
- Crave Naturals Eyelash Curler is pink. That’s enough of a reason!
- Sephora Collection Pro Airbrush is super soft, and helps me get a handle on using just enough of my setting powder.
- Bare Minerals Detail Shader Brush gives great application for my eyeshadow and is small enough to cart around with me.
- Birchbox Bobby Pins stay with me for days when I need to pin my hair back after a few minutes outside or before an impromptu workout. And they’re cute.
- Living Proof StyleLab Instant Texture Mist is great for sprucing up my hair when it gets out of control in the heat. It’s lightwieght and not sticky-which is a must for me.
- Herbal Essences Naked Dry Shampoo smells great, and helps me look a little less like a drowned rat after I’ve been chasing my son around the park when it’s hot or after a workout.
My Make Up Bag
I currently use a Ju Ju Be BeQuick in Fairytella as my makeup bag. It’s certainly not the most expensive bag I’ve ever bought, but it’s by far my favorite.
Makeup is fun for me, as it should be. I love it, but it’s definitely not part of my daily routine-at least not anymore. I changed the way I washed my face-using charcoal in my wash with essential oils and micellar water instead of harsh soaps has made a world of difference.
If I’m short on time, I at least make sure to put on my moisturizer and mascara.
Most days, though, I just use my BB cream (I need that SPF!).
I just feel better when I look like a “big girl”, especially since I’m usually running around in workout clothes or jeans and a tee.