Getting fit can really be a whole family affair! If you’re looking for ideas, you’ve definitely come to the right place. I’ve got 52 healthy family activity ideas for you – one for every day of the year!
52 Healthy Family Activity Ideas
When you have kids it can be pretty tough to find the time to work out… Alone. Or maybe you just want to get the kids moving more too? Either way, it’s nice to have something planned to get the family out and being active in every season.
By changing up the activity ideas for your family and having fun, you can stay active and healthy without making it feel like “work”. Which is super important for teaching kids that healthy isn’t just diet and exercise, it’s a lifestyle.
Winter healthy family activity ideas
For my family, winter is always the hardest time of year to stay active. It’s cold outside, the days are short, and we generally don’t want to do as much. But there are so many fun winter activities your family can do together outside! So get out and enjoy the snow while you can.
- Go ice skating
- Take the kids fishing
- Have a snowball fight
- Toboggan down a hill
- Try downhill or cross country skiing
- Go for a winter walk and explore snow tracks
- Built a snow fort or snowman together
Summer healthy family activity ideas
It always feels like summer goes by too fast! Fill your kids’ summer vacation up with fun, healthy activities and don’t let them sit in front of the TV inside for two months straight. Hopefully, these fun summer family activity ideas will inspire the best summer memories yet.
- Go on a family fishing trip
- Go camping as a family
- Try hiking some local trails and bring a picnic lunch
- Put together a nature scavenger hunt
- Go for a bike ride
- Take the kids to the beach
- Visit a farmer’s market and pick out some fresh fruits and veggies to try
- Get the kids to help you in the garden
- Do yard work together
- Have a water fight
Indoor healthy family activities
On cold and rainy days you need something that will keep the kids busy (and not destroying your house) while also trying to avoid putting in yet another rainy day movie. Here are some fun indoor activities the whole family will enjoy – best of all, they don’t take much prep!
- Have a dance party or learn some new dance moves together
- Make a fort together and have a healthy picnic inside
- Do a workout routine together (like Cosmic Kids yoga)
- Read a book about health together and talk about it (like this one)
- Play fitness video games like Ring Fit Adventure or Just Dance
- Browse cookbooks or websites for healthy recipes to try
- Make smoothies together
- Get creative (and work on your mental/emotional health) by painting, writing, or drawing together
- Put on a show/play together (or have the kids do it and you can be the audience)
- Have a Nerf gun war
- Exercise together (kids can do sit-ups, push-ups, lunges, etc)
Outdoor healthy activities for families
These outdoor activities are perfect for most times of the year and won’t take too much special prep work or equipment. Just use what you already have on hand and get outside! A ball can be used for kicking around, throwing, or playing games like monkey in the middle. Be creative, or let the kids lead the way and join in on their fun!
- Check out a local playground or park
- Go for a family walk (don’t forget the dog!)
- Play sports like soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, frisbee, or football together
- Decorate the sidewalk or driveway with chalk (and play hopscotch!)
- Build a tree fort or outdoor fort together
- Play in the mud (or go jumping in puddles after it rains)
- Try some fun “ toys” like skateboards, rollerblades, jump ropes, balance bikes, etc
- Create your own kites and fly them
Ideas for healthy family outings
These are the ones that you might have to pay for, but they’re well worth introducing to your family’s weekend plans. Not only are they healthy, they’re also a lot of fun to do together! If there’s something you like doing a lot together, consider buying a family membership. These also make great gift ideas!
- Visit a trampoline park
- Try out an indoor playground or children’s museum that has physical activity opportunities
- Visit a theme park that has lots of walking (and pack healthy snacks instead of getting carnival food)
- Take a family fitness class or join a sports team together
- Hit up an indoor pool or waterpark
- Go rock climbing
- Play a game of mini-golf (or take older kids golfing!)
- Have a family laser tag battle
- Go bowling
- Walk around a local zoo
Healthy family activity ideas that give back to the community
Your crew can feel good about these healthy activities because they help others. It’s a great way to do something for someone else, while also promoting healthy activities and lifestyles to your kids. If you really want to make a difference, keep an eye out for opportunities to volunteer in your local community. Here are some ideas to get you started, though:
- Pick up trash in your town, the highway, in a park, or at the beach (watch for cars and don’t forget to wear gloves!)
- Plant trees or start a community garden
- Offer to help out a neighbor by cutting their grass or shoveling snow
- Participate in a charity run/walk and raise money
- Build bird feeders and fill them to attract wildlife to your community
- Host a car wash to raise money for a cause
In my experience, one of the best things you can do to get kids to be more active and healthy is actually getting out and doing stuff with them. That’s why it’s nice to have some healthy family activity ideas on hand; that way you can stay activity together as a family.
How does your family stay active together?
Here are a few other posts I think you will enjoy!
- Best Fitbit For Tracking Sleep
- Fun Exercises For Kids To Do Anywhere
- Best Workout Equipment For Travel
- 25 Easy DIP Lip Balm And Scrubs